10/08/2008

The Need For Speed

In the athletic realm of things, I know I'm not supposed to compare myself to others for a particular discipline.

With my favorite past time that is running, that really has never been an issue. My goal has always been to see how far I could really progress. It helped that there were always signs of progress during those formative years.

With swimming, however, it's been a whole other matter. I can't help and stare in amazement at folks in other lanes, and how easy they glide through the wake, skimming over the surface of the water effortlessly.

One swimmer I've seen lately sports an Escape From Alcatraz cap as he works out. I think he's probably seen me stare at him at times, and if he has, it's not because of jealousy, but because I keep saying, "Damn, he makes it look easy." Compared to the other elite folk who compete in that event, he may be a back of the pack person for all I know, but he looks plenty fast to me.

I've been doing a lot of form work for awhile, trying to perfect it as best I can sans the a coach's watchful eye, and my swim times have improved up to a point. But now I guess I have to take the axiom I've heard from others that really seems so simple to heart - to get fast in the water, you have to swim fast, which means lots of interval work.

Yikes! I'm suspecting I'll be needing a lot of shoulder & upper back massages next year, because that seems to be the next step.

2 comments:

Stephen said...

Well, what I have heard from my tri friends is this:

To get faster at running, run more
To get faster at biking, bike more
To get faster at swimming, get a coach.

BTW, you are right when you look at how effortless a swimmers stoke looks. The easier it is, the faster you go. In boxing class, coach keeps saying work on aim and technique. Then add speed and eventually we add in power. Technique is the foundation to build on.

Theia said...

I'm right there with you, my friend. The next step for me also is to work on speed. I'm comfortable in the water, and I know I can cover the distance (for an Olympic tri at least). Now I just need to get FASTER. It'll be fun to compare our progress across the country. :)