10/14/2008

Dolores For Assembly

Capitalism in downfall (the successes are sometimes touted, but the failures are almost always noted) stood brightly on display in the neon-colored clearance signs, screaming 30-60% off of everything in the store (with the requisite "No Refunds" disclaimer.) For this corporate retail store, this particular location no longer brought in the greenbacks, and was closing its doors for good, or at least until the next tenant set up residence.

Clerks tended to the growing throng of customers looking for a good bargain or three. Not many seemed to be smiling, save for the occasional consumer who found a wanted item for a never dreamed about price.

I had made my purchase for the day, garnering a necklace for a niece for her birthday. On the way out, there was Dolores.

Her jubilant face belied her hunched back and the wheeled walker, decked out with a U.S. flag, her purse, and other accessories, which she grasped for support as she ambled forth . I stood my ground as she glanced my way behind her wire spectacles and moved toward me.

"How are you doing, son?" she said jovially, as she slowly stretched her hand. Her handshake was firm and strong, again defying external appearances.

"My name is Dolores and I'm running for mayor of this city." Her smile radiated determination and sincerity. "I sure hope you will vote for me." "Sure thing," I responded, as I nodded my head and smiled back - it would be impossible for anyone not to, in my mind - as she took leave of me and headed deeper into bargain mania.

Alas, I couldn't vote for you for mayor, Dolores, as I don't live in the city where you live.

On the other hand, state officials in the legislature have done little to impress me this year, and the budget, already infested by a recent trend of tardiness past the mandated deadline, was made simply intolerable in my opinion by going almost three months overdue this year.

Thus, Dolores, you earned a promotion - I hope you like state office, because I threw a vote for you there.

1 comment: