10/07/2008

Emerging From The Mush

I think it's fading now.

For the past few months, I've been going through a serious case of what I call mushbrain.

My focus has gone to heck.

I've seen my emotions sway from complete coolness to something close to frenzied hysteria.

My normal hyper-tangential, multi-tasking mind, has had a numbing dullness from which I could not seem to break.

An online acquaintance of mine suggested that my surgery had thrown my body chemistry out of whack. Obviously, I'll never be sure what's been happening the past few months, but I suspect she's 100% correct (and I thank her for her insight...merci!)

A good sign of this was my run a couple days ago. When I was able to run post-bone marrow donation and post-wisdom tooth extraction (oh, yeah - three of those nasty molars, out of there!), I could barely concentrate on anything but putting one foot in front of the other.

On this run, I noticed the wind rustling through the leaves on the trees. As I passed the wetlands, the bird calls seemed to echo around me, as if they were making final preparations for a long journey...perhaps a journey to warmer climes to the south? It was as if the fingers of fall were starting to take hold of the land around me.

Today, those fingers were nowhere to be found. The local Indian summer season had set up camp, perhaps causing the members of the Pop Warner football team some unwanted discomfort, but otherwise a welcome visitor to summer-clothing-clad residents enjoying a walk with their pets, or tossing a football with family members in the street.

I suspect I have big globs of mush to wash away still, but the light is at the end of the tunnel. Crossing my fingers, of course...

3 comments:

Doctor Err said...

you're allowed to be mushy, its been a big few months for you, even though you'll downplay it because that's what you do...
glad to see you back on the mend...mentally and physically.
hugs!

Stephen said...

Yeah, what the Dr said!

Been wondering what was going on with you. Glad you are coming back!

Kris said...

It's good to see you again Joe. I like reading what you write, whether here or on KR.